According to OS K-12 Section 18.104.22.168 “Under exceptional circumstances, an individual student in Grade 8, with parental consent, may be given permission by the principal of a secondary school to “reach ahead” to take secondary school courses, either during the school year or in the summer prior to entering Grade 9. The principal of the elementary school and the principal of the secondary school will decide, on a case-by-case basis, whether “reaching ahead” to take a secondary school course is in the best interest of the student. The principal of the secondary school will assume responsibility for evaluating the student’s achievement and for granting and recording the credit.”
Nimbus Christian Education, as an online school, provides an ideal environment for students who are capable of ‘fast tracking’ in certain subjects. These students would be able to remain in a core grade 8 classroom while benefiting from the asynchronous nature of our program and specialized support offered to each student. Nimbus Christian Education will provide reach-ahead opportunities for grade 8 students at the discretion of the principal. In order to request this opportunity, students must have demonstrated exceptional ability in the subject thus far. A student requesting participation must submit a letter of reference from their most recent math teacher and their most recent report card. Students may be requested to submit samples of their work.
Process for requesting participation in the Reach-Ahead program:
- Complete the Reach Ahead Placement Form and send a signed copy to Nimbus Christian Education.
- The following items must be submitted along with the application:
- Letter of Recommendation (From last math teacher or school principal)
- Most recent Report Card
- Individual Education Plan (If applicable)
- Participation is granted at the discretion of the Principal of Nimbus Christian Education based on evaluation of grade 8 progress and in consultation with the parents and the student.